Monday, January 16, 2012

Trusting God & Having Faith in Him

Proverbs 3:5 -- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.”
Trust. Those five little letters make up one big word. So does “faith”. That is something we do. As a child we trust our parents to take care of us, our best friends with our deepest, darkest secrets, and our significant other to not cheat on us. But what about God? How much trust do you have in him?
Back in 2005-2008 I went through a tough time spiritually. My dad had been diagnosed with colon cancer and I was mad at God because I felt he gave dad cancer. But Al reminded me as I was crying in his living room that God didn’t GIVE dad cancer, he ALLOWED it to happen. Why? We will never know. But the one thing that I had to do is trust in him and have faith to know that he knows what he’s doing. We may never know why God allows pain and suffering of any kind, but we just have to trust
And when you trust him, you have to have faith. Those go hand-in-hand, in my opinion. In James 5:15 it says “Such a prayer offered up in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven.”
Such a prayer offered in faith… It’s hard to think of what would have happened to dad if none of the prayers for him weren’t offered up in faith. It’s one thing to say “God, heal this person of this sickness. Amen.” BUT when you say “Father, I have faith that by your stripes, this person will be healed of this disease.” OOORRR “God, I trust that your will shall be done.”
When I was unemployed for over a year, and at the end of each tier, I would get depressed and I’d start crying praying trusting that God had that one perfect job out there for me. I have been at the doctors office now for eleven months. That’s what happens when you trust.
This past summer my mom was diagnosed with the early stages of breast cancer. I prayed and had enough faith that she will be healed. And at her last check up, she was given a clean bill of health (so was dad).
The great thing about trusting and having faith in God is that you will never be let down. Even when you don’t get what you were expecting, God’s will was done and that is all that matters.
So when you go into prayer, let God know (sincerely) that you have faith and you’re trusting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment